Avoid These Waterborne Pet Parasites

Summertime may mean your furry pal splashes in and out of the water all season long. While the refreshing water is a great way to cool off, it also can harbour various pet parasites and pathogens that can make your pet sick. Here are four of the most common waterborne illnesses pets can contract.


#1: Giardiasis

Giardia is a pet parasite that typically is contracted by ingesting water that the feces of an infected animal have contaminated. Giardia cysts can survive for months in a cool, moist environment. This parasite can also be passed from pets to people by ingesting contaminated water. Giardiasis typically leads to diarrhea that can have a strong odour or mucus or appear frothy. If left untreated, giardiasis can cause dehydration and malnutrition.


#2: Cryptosporidiosis

Cryptosporidiosis is also caused by a protozoan parasite that is most commonly contracted through ingestion of water or food contaminated with an infected animal’s feces. Cryptosporidiosis in pets can cause diarrhea, fever, lethargy, and weakness.


#3: Leptospirosis

Leptospirosis (lepto) is caused by bacteria that thrive in warm, wet soil and water. Typically, pets—and people—contract lepto through contact with contaminated water. The lepto bacterium enters the body through cuts, abrasions, or mucous membranes. Once in the body, the bacterium attacks the kidneys and potentially other organs. Leptospirosis signs can include excessive thirst and urination, vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, depression, and fever.  


#4: Cyanobacteria toxicity

Cyanobacteria, also known as blue-green algae, are bacteria found in lakes, streams, and ponds. They can produce toxins that affect people, livestock, and pets who swim in and drink from the contaminated water. Blue-green algae can form “blooms” that give the water a blue-green colour and are at the highest concentrations during hot weather. A few mouthfuls of contaminated water may result in fatal poisoning. 


Signs vary based on the type of toxin ingested and focus on liver damage or neurotoxicity. You may see vomiting, diarrhea, bloody stool, weakness, jaundice, muscle tremors, paralysis, seizures, or difficulty breathing. Immediate care is critical for a good outcome, although the outlook is often poor.


While you can’t prevent your pet from picking up waterborne parasites and specific pathogens, you can virtually eliminate their risk of contracting leptospirosis through vaccination. Contact our team to learn more about vaccinating your pet for leptospirosis.